Monday, June 2, 2008

Here's way to get free credit reports throughout year

Question: I know I am entitled to one free credit report annually, from each of the three credit reporting companies, but I want to receive one every four months throughout the year (one from each reporting company at a time). I wrote to one of them last year and specifically stated I wanted only a report from that company at that time: I received one from each of the three, all within a week of each other! So, I was then unable to check my credit throughout the rest of the year (unless, I guess, if I had paid for such reports).

How can I receive only one credit report at a time? I am a senior citizen, on a fixed income and truly cannot afford to pay to receive reports -- the fact that we are supposed to get one from each company annually is a big plus for folks like me, but the reports don't do much good if they all come at the same time -- I want to be able to keep an eye on my credit status throughout the year.
Answer: You can receive one free credit report per year from each of the three primary credit reporting agencies.

What I do is go to annualcreditreport.com and get one credit report for each of my family members. I do this once every four months (April 15, August 15, December 15) from a different credit reporting agency. When you go to the Web site you can select which agency you would like to receive a report from, and then choose a different one the next time.

By the end of the year you will have received a credit report from each company for free.
news source : http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-qna0108jun01,0,325254.story

No comments: